Our “Caring Hands” Ministry
Who We Are…
The ministry of Caring Hands is directed by Birmingham Baptist Association. The ministry goal is to meet the needs of people in the name of Jesus Christ who are experiencing a medical crisis in their life.Our apartments are available to family members (from outside the greater Birmingham area) of patients with long-term stays in local medical facilities.
Where We Are…
The operational headquarters is located on the seventh floor of the Town House Apartment Building downtown at 2008 University Boulevard in Birmingham. On this campus we have 15 fully furnished apartments sponsored by various churches.
What We Offer…
The campus on University Boulevard is for patients and family members of patients (living at least sixty miles outside of the Greater Birmingham area) who are undergoing or have undergone organ transplants, cancer treatment or other long-term medical care. This campus relates specifically to individuals being treated by UAB Medical Center, Children’s Hospital and Veteran’s Administration Hospital. The medical apartments are available for long-term and short-term stays.
During their stay, families receive the warmth, love, compassion and hospitality of Christians who volunteer their time and talents to those guests from out of town in need of a friend during their stay.
How to get involved…
• As a PATIENT: If you are coming to Birmingham from outside the metropolitan area to one of our hospitals for treatment, transplant services or some other long-term illness and need a place to stay in close proximity to the hospital complex, you may call 205.975.1861 or e-mail us. You will be called for confirmation, and your name will be placed on a waiting list. As of November 1, 2014, the nightly rate became $29.00, and our monthly rate is $870.00. A ten day occupancy is $30.00 a night ($300.00 for ten days.) A seven day occupancy is $30.00 a night ($210.00 for one week.) All of this and other information will be given to you at the time of application.
• As a CHURCH: If you and your congregation, mission group or class would like to schedule a ministry awareness presentation regarding the ministry, please call (205) 975-1861. Churches are needed to adopt rooms, provide furnishings and other ministry items. This ministry is open to any congregation in Alabama.
• As a VOLUNTEER: Attend a volunteer training workshop or coordinate one at your church. Volunteers are needed on a regular basis for cleaning, conducting Bible Studies, hosting special occasion parties and working with our guests. To become a volunteer contact Reynard McMillian at 205.975.1861 or e-mail.
• Quarters (rolled) for laundry (it takes 8 quarters to wash and dry a load of clothes)
• Bagged laundry detergent (one scoop per zip-lock bag)
• Dryer sheets
• Liquid bathroom hand soap (antibacterial) in pump container
• Canned fruit and vegetables
• Canned soup
• Canned tuna and chicken
• 30 gallon heavy duty garbage bags
• tall kitchen trash bags heavy duty with handles
• Zip-lock bags (all sizes)
• 60 watt light bulbs
• Toilet tissue
• Paper towels
• Canned drinks
• Facial tissues
• Bottled water
• Coffee (Regular and Decaf)
• “AA” batteries for t.v. remotes
• TVs, VCRs
• Clothing irons
• Gift cards to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy, etc.
We also appreciate monetary donations. Checks should be made payable to:
Birmingham Baptist Association Medical Apartments
2008 University Boulevard
Birmingham, AL 35233